As we have holiday letting properties sleeping up to 6 and 8 right next to York Minster Minster Townhouse York and Minster Garden House here are a few facts about York Minster you might be interested in
1. You will need to climb 275 steps to get to the top of the central tower - It is referred to as "An exhilarating experience" - you might just want to make sure you are fit enough!
2. York Minster is made of limestone and is a Gothic Cathedral - yes it is a Minster and a Cathedral. As I understand it... A minster is a church that was established during Anglo-Saxon times as a missionary teaching church, or a church attached to a monastery. A cathedral is the seat of a bishop (his seat, or throne, is called a cathedral)
3. A fire in 1984 lasted 3 days when York Minster was hit by lightening . The famous rose window was shattered and the roof of the south transept was destroyed. Repairs took 4 years!
4. At the time of writing this blog York Minster website states that it costs £23,000 per day to run York Minster so your admission fees help!
5. York Minster website ( York Minster Website - Conservation ) states that there is a 100 year rolling programme of work to maintain the building. You can see the stonemasons yard in Deansgate.
Many tourists visiting York for a weekend break or longer stay in York usually ask how far the accommodation is from York Minster - our answer for Minster Garden House and Minster Townhouse is "It's on your doorstep"!